Every five years Congress mandates that the Federal Dietary Guidelines be reviewed and updated to better represent current nutritional needs. Well folks, that time has come! Some of the new guidelines that are being suggested according to the 'Report of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010 (Advisory Report)', include...
1. Lowering maximum sodium intake from 2,300 milligrams to 1,500 milligrams
2. Dropping the total amount that saturated fats contribute to our diet from 10 percent to 7 percent.
3. Drinking fewer sugary beverages
4. Eating more seafood and low-fat dairy products
5. Eating more vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds
What do you think? The Advisory Committee wants to know!
Go to http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/dietaryguidelines.htm and give your feedback. There will also be a meeting set up so the public can share their comments on the new guidelines July 8th in Washington DC.